spring_flowers-tulips

What dangers can Spring bring to pets?

 

Cases of poisonings in pets are often associated with the Christmas period, but Spring also has its dangers. Several flowers can be toxic to your pets so it is important to avoid them and know what signs to look out for.

Bluebells

Bluebells are common spring flowers seen in British woodlands. Dogs are usually affected after ingesting them on walks. All parts of the plant, including the bulb, are poisonous. They contain ‘scillarens’, which are chemicals that slow the heart rate. After your dog has eaten bluebells, you may see vomiting, diarrhoea, lethargy and disorientation. It is unlikely that your dog will become seriously intoxicated by them, but it is good to be aware of their potential danger.

Daffodils

These yellow flowers can often be found in the British countryside. Dogs are usually affected after ingesting them on walks. The bulbs are the most toxic part of the daffodil, but the flowers, stems and even the water in which the daffodils have been standing in can be poisonous. Daffodils contain ‘alkaloids’, which irritate the digestive tract. Signs associated with daffodil poisoning are vomiting, diarrhoea, drooling and lethargy.

Lilies

Lilies are common house plants and are poisonous to cats. They contain calcium oxalate crystals, which are irritating to the digestive system and on rare occasions they can cause kidney failure. Your cat may show signs of drooling, diarrhoea, vomiting, increased amount of drinking and lethargy. It is best to avoid keeping lilies in the house if you have cats.

If you are concerned that your pet has been poisoned, contact your vet immediately. The earlier you spot the signs, the more likely your pet will get better. There are many other substances that can be toxic to your pet so contact your vet for more information.

One Response to What dangers can Spring bring to pets?

  1. how do you say dog food in spanish July 10, 2017 at 11:59 am #

    wao such a great articles

Website by: Gunpowder Studios